A Letter to my Hero

As a volleyball team, we have been having weekly meeting on Saturday mornings via Zoom. This week, we added our nine-incoming freshman for a FULL team meeting. Our activity was sharing who our hero was, outside of our mom and dad. This activity allowed us, as teammates and coaches, to be vulnerable and create a strong relationship with each other. My blog is going to be a letter to my hero.


Dear Erika,

When I looked up the meaning of a hero, it said it’s a person who you admire or idealize for courage, outstanding achievements or noble qualities. I immediately thought of you. I have admired and idealized you since I was old enough to do whatever you did and be the annoying younger sister. I admired your athletic abilities, your clothing style, your work ethic and how you can light up any room with your (blonde) personality.

I know as sisters we went through a rough patch of absolutely hating each other, but let’s be honest, everyone goes through it. I am glad we’re over that and now inseparable. When high school hit, and we had the opportunity to be teammates, our bond became to flourish. We rode the highs together and were there for each other during the lows. The one year together in high school came to end, you graduated and moved away to college.

When we dropped you off at college, I cried. When you would go back from being home for Christmas break, I cried. Then you moved to South Carolina for the last two years of college, and I cried a lot. But when you graduated college and we moved you home, I cried tears of joy. I cherished every minute we got spend together when I knew sometime soon, I would have to say goodbye again.

Since you pursued your passion and continued to play volleyball in college, I wanted nothing more than to be like you. I never got that idea out of my head and wanted to do the same. When I think back to my college search, I don’t even think I pursed any other options.

Fast forward to today, the quarantine has allowed us to go on daily walks and bike rides, working out together, cooking dinner together and even starting a puzzle together (even though you give up on it). Now that we spend every day together, I would say I have gotten sick of you, but that’s not the case. Our bond we have today is unbreakable. You are my hero, my mentor and best friend.

Love you,

Paige


Comments

  1. Aweee this is so sweet. My older sister and I had a rough patch as well but now we do everything together. I love the child hood photos of you and your sister. I hope she loved your letter to her!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment