My Reflection on Social Media Principles

For this week’s topic, brought to you by Professor Aggie, is our favorite and least favorite things about our class, Social Media Principles. This was my first class for my social media minor, and it has NOT made me regret adding this minor. I knew I’ve always been interesting in the ever-changing world of social media, but I always thought… you know, what more could I learn? This class has justified, for me, that there’s so much more to learn than I’ve ever imagined. I’ve gained a knew understanding for the importance of social media.

Now to get into the meat and potatoes, nitty-gritty, or the nuts and bolts…whatever you want to call it. I thought I’d start with my least favorites, so I can wrap up my blog on a positive note. When I was reflecting on this semester, I struggled to find dislikes. I guess you could call my ONE pretty stereotypical dislike to be but the book. Now, the first book we read for three weeks of class was called, “The Art of Social Media” by Guy Raz. I really enjoyed reading this book, because it was an easy read with large font and minimal pages per chapters. I dove into the book and felt like I became a book nerd. I’m not one to pick up a book, kick my feet up and just read, so I thought this book might be changing that.

Then the fifth week of spring semester hit, and we started reading, “Social Media for Strategic Communication” by Karen Freberg. Nothing against Karen because the information in the book was fantastic, but I could barely get myself to sit down to read the book. I’m not sure if it was because I had the electronic book or that’s just the excuse I’m making for myself. So, my least favorite thing was having to read two chapter per week. I struggled to find the motivation to open the book and read.

Finally, the time for ALL the positives Social Media Principles has given to me. For starters, I think I need to start with an appreciation for the night owl, dance mom enthusiast, remarkable baker of ooey gooey butter cake, a fellow polar bear lover and Harvey Seatbeltbag fanatic… Dr. Aggie! (insert background clapping noise). I think what made the course so exciting and motivated me to show up every Tuesday and Thursday was Aggie. She cares so much for every student and wants each and every person to do their best. Obviously, you’re reading this, Aggie, so thank you and no I did not just say that for an 18/18 on this blog!

My second favorite thing that Social Media Principles has given me is all my classmates. The relationship we built over the semester is exhilarating. Even though our time together was cut short, we still make jokes through Zoom that makes it feel like we’re all physically in class. With Emily’s (loud) laugh, Bri’s dance moves, Madylin’s Tik Toks, Lydia’s (adorable) wedding pictures, Ris’ journey with plants and can’t forget about Cash money’s audacity to drop the class… made our class special. I will never forget our perfect little class, inside jokes and memories for forever to come.

My last favorite thing that Social Media Principles is what you’re reading right now. I would of never imagined, in a million years, that I would be posting three blogs a week. It’s something I’ve never had an interest in starting, but I can truly say now that after this class I want to continue writing. It may not be three times a week, I might need more of a break, but I want to capture moments through storytelling for myself to look back on. Blogging has given me a whole new perspective in the world of social media. It has given me the experience of writing and editing to bring into my internship and future job. “Keeping up with Paige” was born and I’ve loved every second of it.

Comments

  1. This is amazing! I think I'm crying. This was such a fun class and I honestly think it was one of highlights of the spring semester. I loved our little class but big personalities. This is just so great. I'll miss seeing everyone each Tuesday and Thursday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment