Hackers are Hijacking Zoom

As we all know, virtual classes mean we need a virtual tool to use, and Zoom has become very popular. Like I said in my blog, “My Favorite Virtual Tools to Use” I’ve being using Zoom for a couple of my classes, volleyball workouts and team meetings. I’ve loved using it, because it’s fairly easily accessible to all and the connection is typically strong wherever I’m at.

With the shift to work and school from home to stay safe from COVID-19, the FBI thinks otherwise. The FBI has put out numerous alerts that hackers have been hijacking video conferences and online classrooms through Zoom. There have been multiple reports of video meetings being interrupted by threatening language, inappropriate images or racial slurs. Even though the individuals who are performing the “Zoom-bombings” haven’t been identified, they’ve displayed swastika tattoos while in the Zoom call.

The FBI’s tips for avoiding getting hacked include making your meetings or class sessions on Zoom private, not sharing the link on social media and managing screen-sharing options so only the host can display theirs. Throughout my research over this topic, I found that only two high schools in Massachusetts and one in upstate New York have reported this kind of activity.

Back in 2019, Zoom covered up reports that hackers took control of user’s webcams and spy on them even when the app was not in use. Zoom has responded that they’ve fixed the issue since then. With all the uncertainty that surrounds Zoom, I will take the precautions that the FBI has suggested. I can’t imagine being in the middle of a class, meeting or workout and an individual appears sharing inappropriate images and language. Stay safe and follow the recommended tips!

Comments