How I've Adjusted to College at Home

With the dramatic change in the semester, what better to blog about then how I’ve adjusted. The whole online school really isn’t my jam and has been quite the change of pace. The transition to online for me happened at a worst possible time. The upcoming week (from home) I had two exams, three projects, finance homework, blogging and other assignments to complete. My brain was fried, and I immediately wanted summer to be here like NOW. Fast forward to the next week, I had a much lighter load, I was getting better at time managing and (attempting) to get ahead.

I’ve been trying to stay in somewhat of a routine every day, so I don’t find myself watching Netflix until lunchtime. As a volleyball team, we have early small group workouts three days a week which forces me to get my exercise, shower and eat breakfast all before 10 a.m. The past two weeks, I typically work on assignments or watch lectures for a few hours, then pick up around the house, eat lunch and then finish things up for the day. All my friends would probably laugh at that, because they know how much I hate messes and dishes in the sink. I got the cleaning gene from my dad, so when he comes home from work, he appreciates the clean house the most. A quick cleaning session gives me a 30-minute break from staring at a computer, which is why I’ve been doing it so ritually.

I am thanking my pre-teen self for wanting a desk for Christmas, because who knew I’d be doing college from home. Back on campus, I always did my homework or studied at my desk, so it’s nice to keep something consistent. I change my workspace up hourly but being in my room away from the distractions of my family has been my favorite. I’ve now made a sign that reads, “STAY OUT!” because my family doesn’t understand I’m probably in class, taking an exam or in a meeting when my door is closed. As much as this is a learning process for me, it’s a learning process for them, but hey got to love them.

I’ve mentioned our family business once before in my blog, “5 Fun Facts About Me,” but my parents own a bowling center in my hometown. Not only is bowling a key to the business, but the food business is even bigger. The bowling alley has been able to stay open, because there’s a drive-thru carry out for customers to access. One thing I’ve struggled with is having to balance work and school. Unfortunately, my dad had a lay off over half the employees, so our family has put in a lot of extra hours. My dad has finally understood that I’m a student before employee, so I can’t come in everyday to help.

Aside from a few downfalls of online classes and the stay at home order, I wouldn’t change the extra time with my family for the world. Check out my blog called, “What I’ve Been Doing With my Extra Time” for things I’m trying out and doing more of during my time in quarantine.

Comments

  1. I love how organized and structured you are. I feel that is why we are really close friends. Thank you for sharing your homeschool life and I can't wait till we are back at our home in Ada and put a sign on your door. Instead, this time it will say, "STAY OUT (besides Em)!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment